Friday, March 7, 2008

My Daughter Libby

A short movie about our five year custody battle. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't lived through it. The movie can also be reached here.

19 comments:

Angie at WeddingsToday.TV said...

Brian and Laura,

Thank you so much for your diligence in court and for sharing your experiences with others. Our stories are eerily similar (custody of my daughter taken from me - full custody given to my ex because the courts didn't like me homeschooling her - despite her good grades). I have often felt alone in this battle - only finding non-custodial moms who had their kids taken from them for all the right reasons. I didn't know if I'd ever find anyone with the same circumstances til I found your story in a Christian news publication. I thank you for making this video, for sharing your story, and for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in, no matter what the cost.

CrowtherKidsMom said...

Brian, Laura and Libby:

My soul weeps for your situation. Although I have not been through a situation like yours, I have been around men like your ex-husband in the work that I did before becoming a stay-at-home mommy. I have been unable to homeschool my son, due to a severe illness that has taken away most of my strength and energy, but my husband and I did a very thorough search of schools and found one where I felt my son would thrive.

Although my husband does not share the beliefs that myself and my children share, he has never tried to use that against me, but allows me to teach my children the Word and to pray over them. The school that my son attends is a Catholic School, which is not our belief system (we attend a church based on ana-baptist and mennonite doctrine) but the teachers treat my son like any other child and my son is free to pray the way he wants and he is allowed to worship the Lord. Our public school system no longer allows prayer and the singing of our National Anthem, but instead is developing social studies curriculum to teach the children about the muslim faith. While I do not feel that learning about another faith is wrong (I feel that it may make our children more tolerant of others who do not share the same faith as we do) but there are no plan to have curriculum about christianity, judaism or any other religious belief. Our country was formed by Christians and yet now we are denying christians their rights, just so that no one will be offended.

I live in Alberta, Canada and am lucky to be represented in provincial and federal government by wonderful Christian individuals. Alberta has become the 'Canadian Christian Bible Belt' much as some of your more southern states have, but I still feel that somehow God has been left out by our provincial and federal leaders.

I will continue to pray for your family and for Libby to be safe from harm in her father's home. I will also pray that the judges in your case will see the wrong that they have caused here.

God bless you all.

Jamie Crowther
Sylvan Lake, AB
Canada

Scott's Poultry Farm said...

Brian & Laura,

Thank you for being instruments of God in the demostration of HIS GRACE and PEACE to this evil world. Phil. 4:6-7. My heart goes out to you both and very much so to dear Libby. Rememeber, GOD's word NEVER returns unto HIm void... You have taught Libby well and God will sustain her in this difficult trial. Remember that God says, "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much... We are praying and God hears HIS people. Remember to be of good cheer JESUS CHRIST has overcome the world.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Scott
Trinity, AL

Brenda said...

Praying...

mama2drama said...

Your struggle with your AL court is appaling. Don't lose hope. We know that God is able to do exceeding abundant above all that we ask or think. Maybe this will help get the word out and get more Christians praying for your battle. Be not weary in well doing.

Lionel said...

Dear Friends,

It can be so disheartening to hear of situation like yours. Paul said that all those who desire to live Godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. Our prayer is that Libby may get through this with a greater appreciation of the Lord Jesus because she is able to see the powerful Christian testimony you are living. I am glad that you have documented this so well, and I presume you have contacted HSLDA to get their support and advice. The battle belongs to the Lord.

Lionel Letcher
Melbourne, Australia

Anonymous said...

Oh my... there truly are no words to convey the depth of compassion that I feel for your family.

I am amazed at the calmness which you both convey in the video though I am sure at times you can only pray for calmness.

If in nothing else, know that the time left is short before the Lord comes back for His church and to bring righteous judgment to the world of unbelievers.

It is good that you both have been able to teach Libby in the right way and she herself has made her choice... he cannot take that away from her.

I will pray for you all for peace, comfort, strength and favor in the trials you have.

I appologize that this is all I can think of to say right now. I am just astounded at what you all have been through.

I will pray and pass this story along to others. Hang in there... one way or another it will all work out.

I will also pray that the Lord will send angels to protect her wherever she is.

Matthew 18:19-20 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Anonymous said...

Brian and Laura,

Just want to encourage you in the struggle. I believe that the outcome will be that you have made a difference in our world. Our prayers are with you. Keep the Faith. The spotlight is not on you but on our God and HE will bring you through all of this TRIUMPHANTLY!

OUR GOD REIGNS

Anonymous said...

Brian, Laura & Libby,
What has happened to you is unthinkable. I cannot get my mind around the decisions of Judge Bell. Isaiah 5 came to mind as I watched your video; especially vs. 20-23. "Woe unto then that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and purdent in their own sight! Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle stong drink: Which justify the wicked for a reward [bribe], and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!"
I can't help but think that his applies to Judge Bell and those like him who are splitting Christian families apart even if the reward is only political correctness.
I am praying for you and for Libby, especially that the Lord will place a hedge of protection around her and that He will show His arm mighty to save her half-brother.
Thank you for telling your story.

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers go out to your family. I have forwarded this for prayer request. Stand strong in your faith, your prayers will be answered! God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

That is so heartbreaking!

As a Muslim, this happened to us too. So much for "religious freedom" in America!

I hope & pray justice is served, and soon.

Just remember though... no matter what happens in court over the years for anyone in such a situation, children do grow up - fast - & can then form their own opinions.

May God be with you during this time of turmoil & sadness.

A Seed Sower said...

I was profoundly moved in my spirit by your most compelling story.
Prayer and fasting is probably a weekly thing for you as you walk through this valley of the testing of your faith.
God hears our prayers and He moves, He is most moved by our tears and our heartfelt crys to Him. He will deliver your daughter.
I will surely pray for you, your dear wife and your precious daughter. God bless you and keep the faith, it will be worth it all in the end.
Sincerely in Christ's Love
Helen B.

Anonymous said...

I'm not religious, but I just wanted to say that your story is messed up and it really sucks what the courts have put you through. Good luck! =]

Anonymous said...

I would suggest contacting the ACLJ - http://www.aclj.org/ - this appalling behaviour by the courts should be challenged. There is no legal basis for this and you should not have to endure it any longer.

Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. That means abide by the laws of the land, but not that you have to let others abuse those laws.

May the peace of our Lord Jesus continue to be with you.

Anonymous said...

I would just like you to know that I will keep your family in my daily prayers. I pray that things get resolved for you, it is truly sad and appalling what the court system in Madison County and in Alabama has done in reguards to your case. There is a judge in Lauderdale County Judge Sandlin that I am sure if you could get him to hear your case would surely see things in the light that they should be seen in. My son was awarded full custody of my grandson under him because of my grandsons mothers behavior and none of it has been anywhere near what Libby's biological father has done, and I say biological father because it is apparent he is no dad in any way shape or form. I also have a first cousin that is a supervisor for DHR in Lauderdale County that would surely see what wonderful parents you are and try to do the best thing for Libby. I know it would be a major ordeal but if you could move temporarily to Lauderdale County there might be hope that that court system there would work in your favor.

Always in my prayers,

Beverely Nichols

Anonymous said...

As I watched your video I wept several times. I am stunned believers are sitting back and watching this happen, weeping, praying and yet keeping silent. Why? Why am I sitting here instead of bringing this to the attention of many and speaking out against this. Why am I not loving you (as Jesus commands) and not speaking out for you?

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother and Sister in the Lord Jesus Christ:
I am from Mexico, I am a homeschool mother, I saw your video with my daughters, and we are going to lift a prayer for your case.
I can not avoid to cry. Our Lord Jesus knows the purpose of all this. He is our advocate.Let me tell you how blessed you are:
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for3 they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7 Blessed are the merciful:1 for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers:1518 for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake:, for theirs is the kingdom932 of heaven.
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil, , against you falsely, for my sake.,
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

In His Love:

Karina J. Mojica
Sus_promesas_isaias-41.10@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I am not a Christian but you have my support in the fact that you want your daughter back to a wholesome good life. I am so sorry this has happened to you and I only wish you the best for you and your daughter. The fact that our government would do such a thing is reprehensible. Have you contacted any kind of media outlet to bring this to public knowledge? If not you should consider doing just this. You need your daughter as she needs you please contact the media and let them know what is going on. I wish for the best and will keep you in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

It's a really heart breaking story! I am so sorry to see what has happened to your daughter. No child and no one deserves to be hurt and abused. I am a Christian myself and I can understand that there are a lot of people who do not understand God is real and the Bible is the truth and is the way to life. I will be praying for you daily. I am sure that your daughter will be safe and will be living with you and your husband anytime soon. God will find a way to help you and your husband. I am sure you could have some Christian friends who support you in your situation.

Teresa